Keeping with our lemon theme for the week we have selected the top 8 interesting facts and uses for lemons that we could find. From cleaning with lemon juice to bleaching our hair blond, lemon is one hell of a versatile fruit.
We know that thousands of people flock to Menton in France every spring to celebrate the lemon at Fete du Citron but what other unique facts about lemons should we be aware of:
- Did you know that Lemon trees can product up to 600 pounds of lemons per year
- A few drops of lemon juice scattered over other fruits can prevent them from turning brown, keeping your fruit fresher for longer.
- Women used lemon juice to make their lips red during the renaissance and squeeze it into their hair it blond in the Italian sunshine.
- Lemon trees were a sign of prestige in Victorian times and would be a staple in wealthy Victorian homes.
- During the Gold Rush in the 1840’s lemons and other citrus fruits were used to combat scurvy.
- Lemon juice and rind is often used as an alternative product for cleaning surfaces.
- If you slice up a lemon and leave it in a bowl in the fridge you can get rid of unwanted smells. If used correctly it can whiten and remove stains.
- In Ayurveda practice it is common to drinking a glass of warm water with lemon in the morning.
If you have anymore interesting lemon facts to share we would love to hear your thoughts.