If you love peanut butter on toast than beech nut butter is the recipe just for you! It is the healthy wild food alternative to this delicious snack.
- Beech Nuts
- Sugar or Honey
How to make Beech Nut Butter
The trick with all wild food preparation is patience and this is especially true when working with wild food.
- Gather your nuts. Now is the perfect time to gather your nuts. You will find them scattered on the forest floor, in your local park and woodlands.
- Shell nuts. This can be tricky as beech nuts have small spikes on them but take your time and enjoy the process.
- Roast on a low heat for 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn the nuts.
- Rub off skins. Give the nuts a gentle rub. If you put the nuts into a tea towel and rub them together you will get off a lot of the excess skin.
- Blitz in blender until the nuts become a paste. This is the fun part where you see the nuts turn into a golden paste.
- Add small quantity of oil. Be careful not to add too much oil as it won’t keep that buttery texture.
- Add sugar or honey & a pinch of salt
- Add whole nuts for a few seconds at the end if you like it crunchy
- Spoon into jars & store in refrigerator
If you don’t have the time but would love to try some delicious beech nut butter please get in touch with us or you can join one of our foraging adventures to collect your own sometime.