Whether your concerned about using less energy, saving the trees or conserving water, sustainable living can help you to support these causes. Learning about the natural world around you can help you towards a more sustainable lifestyle. It is all about pairing back to basics and understanding that a simple life with less can have huge benefits on the environment and your mental health.
One way to take action is to learn about the foods you consume on a weekly basic. Think about what goes into your shopping basket. Do you know how many items are grown or produced locally? Can you tell the difference between organic produce and mass produced goods? Do you buy more food than you actually need and end up throwing out a lot of food at the end of a week?
Most of us do so don’t worry, we can take small steps to cut down on food waste and make our home more sustainable.
13 Steps Towards a Sustainable Living
- Grind the fruit and vegetable peels into delicious juices
- Repurpose jars and containers
- Spend time outdoors, learning about the wild produce around you
- Start composting at home
- Make homemade cleaning products (did you know that the acid in Lemons is antibacterial?)
- Limit the use of hot water
- Plant a tree with a friend
- Cut down on your meat intake
- Prepare home cooked meals with local ingredients
- Create a shopping list and try to stick to it
- Look for fairtrade symbols and certifications on products
- Choose ethical brands
- Research ingredients
There are plenty of ways that we can begin to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle. Our foraging tours will teach you about the wild plants and delicious herbs plucked straight from nature. Investing in life long learning is the perfect excuse to get outdoors, learn something new and give back to the community around you. If you are interested in developing your wild plant knowledge then you can download our Foragers Planner Pack and Herb Planner Pack to start recording your activities.